Friends of Lead Church

Home | About The Friends Group | Links | Contact Us | The 1931 Archaelogical Survey | Recent Photos | Events

About The Friends Group

The Friends of Lead Church was formed in 1980 by a group of individuals who were all interested in saving St Mary's Church Lead from deriliction. At the time the Church was in need of repair and the Friends group, led by Lady Jessie Clegg, campaigned for Lead Church to be taken under the control of The Redundant Churches Fund (now The Churches Conservation Trust). Lady Clegg was the chair of The Friends of Lead Church from 1990 until her death in 2010.

The Friends of Lead Church organise events throughout the year, to raise funds for The Churches Conservation Trust. The Annual Service, which is open to everyone, is held in May, and there is also a Carol Singing event held in December.

The Friends Committee

Lady Jessie Clegg

Lady Clegg was one of the founder members of the Friends of Lead Church, and in the 1980's she and other members of the group campaigned to have St Mary's Church, Lead, brought into the care of The Redundant Churches Fund, now The Churches Conservation Trust. Lady Clegge continued to be the driving force behind the friends group until her death in January 2010. In May 2011 the Friends of Lead Church planted a Hawthorn Tree in the Church Garden in celebration of Lady Clegg.


The Friends of Lead Church are supported by Towton Battlefield Society and their re-enactment group, The Frei Compagnie. Towton Battlefield Society have events on Palm Sunday and throughout the year, at The Crooked Billet Pub, across the road from St Mary's Church Lead.